2019. San Francisco: The Book Club of California, 2019.
4to (11 x 8.5 inches), 329 pp. over 200 full-color illustrations. Hand-numbered and signed by the author and by the book designer and typographer Jerry Kelly. Quarter red morocco, decorative paper boards photo-reproduced from hand-painted paper by Eric Carle, titled in gilt on upper cover and spine, slipcase.
§ De luxe edition, limited to 50 copies, this is #21. From the prospectus (The Book Club of California, 2019), "A Shimmer of Joy is an exciting and colorful presentation of one hundred children’s picture books published in—or imported to—America from 1900 to 2015. Each of the one hundred books profiled has been selected based upon its notable fame or collectability by Chris Loker, an authority on children’s literature. Among the best-known and most loved books included in A Shimmer of Joy:
* The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter (1901)
* The Story of Babar by Jean de Brunhoff (1933)
* Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (1947)
* The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats (1962)
* Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)
Specifically, A Shimmer of Joy offers readers:
* A vital definition of the picture book, with an overview of its history and significance in American children’s literature.
*Intriguing in-depth essays on the past, the present, and the possible future of the picture book, written in enlightening detail by three scholars in the field.
* Fascinating profiles of one hundred famous or collectible picture books, accompanied by two to four color photographs of each book. Item #123148